PNG head coach Lisa Cole said they aim to learn as much during the World Cup as playing at this pace is new for the team.Cole said the pressure is not on winning but on what is important and that is continuing to improve from game to game.PNG did not qualify on merit for the World Cup but are required to take part as a host nation.Cole admitted that they have to build on their confidence and focus and this is the first step for PNG in women’s soccer. “Every country had their first world cup at some point and they didn’t go out and win their first game so we need to continue to look at improving.“When we look back on it this would be an incredible moment for PNG football to have played in front of a full house that had Papua New Guineans come out to support.“Soccer fans are going to look back on the game and see that the players didn’t just kick and run but they tried to play hard,” Cole said. Cole added that the future is very bright if the country invests more in PNG women.
Scores of French football fans queued on Friday to snap up the first of the national team’s new shirts carrying a second star to mark Les Bleus’ World Cup win in Russia.The crowning of France as world champions unleashed a wave of euphoria across the country, helping foster a brief sense of national unity after years of tension and self-examination in the wake of attacks by Islamist militants since 2015.“I’ll keep it all my life. It’s the second star! They made our dreams come true on the pitch,” said fan Brice Chevalier as he queued to enter the French Football Federation’s store in Paris.France first won the World Cup, earning its first star, in 1998 with Zinedine Zidane its talisman and playmaker in an era when the team was referred to as Black-Blanc-Beur (Black-White-Arab), a reference to its diverse ethnic make up.In Russia, they beat Croatia 4-2, with President Emmanuel Macron leaping for joy in the stands.“I’m chuffed, I’ve been waiting a month for this moment,” said another life-long supporter, Jerome Cornec.The Nike-branded strips are huge money-spinners. France’s official shirt costs €85. read more
Executive director of the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Commission (BGLC) Vitus Evans says that the organisation is actively looking for a sponsor to take over the high-profile Diamond Mile race day product. The event, which was created five years ago by the BGLC, is one of the most popular events on the racing calendar at Caymanas Park and, as always, attracted a lot of spectators from various areas of the society during its most recent staging on December 1. However, Evans, who was speaking at a Gleaner Editors’ Forum at the company’s offices in downtown Kingston on Thursday, said that the event has reached a stage where the commission needs to get it off its hands. “We believe the way it is going now, there may be the possibility of looking for someone (sponsors) to take it over and run with it and take it off our hands because it is not something that we want to continue forever,” Evans said. He said that the BGLC started the Diamond Mile to lift the profile of horse racing in Jamaica and he believes the objective has been achieved. “It was an idea that came to life four years ago when we at the BGLC felt that there was a need to look at possible initiatives to support the local horse racing industry, in terms of bringing more people to the stands,” he said. “Based on the success, it has become a branded product, and I think it is time for us to get it off our hands.” Jeanette Lewis, manager of corporate affairs and communications, says that the interest in the event has grown each year, and this year’s staging suggests that their objective of bringing more people to Caymanas Park has been met. “One of the things that we have seen in the years is the interest and the demand to attend the Diamond Mile, especially the in-field experience that we have,” Lewis explained. “This year, we were particularly fascinated by the buzz on social media. One of the objectives of the Diamond Mile is to introduce new fans to the sport of horse racing; to bring people who haven’t been to Caymanas Park there, to introduce them to the buzz and excitement, and we have done that.” read more
CALGARY, A.B. — Two days after changing its name and vowing to put its scandal-tainted past behind it, the company formerly known as Penn West Petroleum is being hit with charges by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.The SEC charges allege the Calgary-based oil and gas firm and three of its former finance executives participated in a “multi-year accounting fraud” where hundreds of millions of dollars were mislabelled to improve the appearance of its operating metrics.None of the allegations against the company, which officially changed its name to Obsidian Energy Ltd. on Monday. have been proven in court.- Advertisement -The SEC charges involve accounting issues that led to Penn West reporting in September 2014 that it would restate its financial statements from 2012 to the first quarter of 2014.Last year, the company paid C$53 million to settle resulting class action lawsuits by Canadian and American shareholders.Obsidian CEO David French says he’s “disappointed” that the SEC is pursuing a matter that was reported to it years ago, adding he doesn’t think it will affect current operations of the company.Advertisement read more
NOISE: City Councilconsiders allowing amplification until 11 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays. By Andrea Woodhouse STAFF WRITER The middle-age suburbanites were sipping wine and listening to a classic rock cover band in a Manhattan Beach backyard when the cops pulled up just after 10 p.m. But because enough residents have complained that the early hours are cramping their style, Uyeda has recommended the city allow residents two parties a year that can carry on until 11 p.m. “Ten p.m. is a little unreasonable on a Friday or Saturday night,” he said. “Even I’d like to go to a party past 10 p.m.” The Police Department issued 43 permits from August 2006 to August 2007 – and six of the permitted parties went over their time limit, Uyeda said. In that same period, police officers responded to more than 530 calls of raucous parties, many without amplified noise permits. If the city increased the party hours, Uyeda said, police officers would still have discretion to bust gatherings that were too loud – permitted or not. Councilman Richard Montgomery supports the change, saying it would give more freedom to residents hosting gatherings like wedding receptions and graduation parties. Missioreck thought an extra hour for the annual fundraiser would be appropriate – after all, it’s not like the event is a keg party. “We raised close to $1 million to do what the city and school district couldn’t,” the 14-year resident said. “We were really, really, really disappointed by the lack of discretion.” firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “It was anything but raging,” organizer Marc Missioreck said. “When the officer came, we explained to him we were running 15 to 20 minutes late. We said we’d turn down the volume as low as possible.” But rules are rules, and Missioreck and the rest of the Mira Costa High School football booster club had to cut their annual fundraiser short. The hard-partying parents might not have to rush things at their next bash. That’s because the Manhattan Beach City Council tonight will consider extending the party hours allowed under amplified-noise permits by 60 minutes. As it stands, residents looking to host an event that includes amplified sound – like a band or DJ or an auction using microphones – must get a permit from the Police Department. The revelers pay a fee, notify their neighbors and must settle down by 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, and by 8 p.m. the other days, Police Chief Rod Uyeda said. read more
Jakub Blaszczykowski Everton and Fiorentina are locked in a battle to sign Borussia Dortmund winger Jakub Blaszczykowski.The Toffees will have to fight off strong interest from the Serie A side, who have been in talks with the 29-year-old over a move.As talkSPORT told you, Roberto Martinez is keen to add at least two new faces to his Goodison Park squad but the £10m-rated Pole would stretch the Spaniard’s budget.However, according to Sky Deutschland, Everton are prepared to break the bank for the Dortmund star but will have to make up lost ground before Tuesday’s transfer deadline as La Viola have already offered Blaszczykowski a lucrative contract package.Blaszczykowski endured an injury-hit campaign last time out and has since struggled to force his way back into Thomas Tuchel’s first-team plans at the Westfalenstadion. 1 read more
McFadden’s Pharmacy have stocked an innovative new product now available for purchase, that is designed to alleviate joint pain from your life.Revive Active Joint Complex is an all in one solution for joint pain and mobility.Experience the most comprehensive formula for supporting cartilage, bone, connective tissue and skin. The product which is made in Ireland is a unique NATURAL health drink supplement that is a combination of specific nutrients scientifically combined in precisely the right amounts to tackle the primary concerns of Osteoarthritis.Revive used a four point approach when developing this world class joint support supplement.Four key ingredients provide the body with the nutrients needed for healthy strong joints.Peptan® Marine has been scientifically proven to support the growth of both type II collagen and aggrecan within the body. Glucosamine is an essential building block required for cartilage repair and maintenance, which exhibits synergistic effects with marine collagen in enhancing joint health.Hyaluronic acid helps to lubricate cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing joints to function smoothly, reducing joint friction.Methyl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM) acts as a natural anti-inflammatory and it also has antioxidant properties that help to reduce inflammation and joint pain, while improving connective tissue health.Enhanced with many other ingredients including Vit C , manganese, copper, boron and vit D3 all of which have been scientifically proven to offer powerful beneficial effects in oseosrthritic conditions.Whether you’re currently suffering from joint pain, or are concerned about developing osteoarthritis or osteoporosis, or are an athlete who wants to maximise and protect your joints, new Revive active Joint Complex is for you! Available at McFadden’s Pharmacy start of March with a big promotion.Stay tuned through our Website http://www.mcfaddenspharmacy.com and our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/mcfaddenspharmacyDON’T LET JOINT PAIN SLOW YOU DOWN – MCFADDEN’S PHARMACY LAUNCH INNOVATIVE NEW PRODUCT was last modified: February 16th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BusinesshealthMcFADDENS PHARMACYnews read more
This Friday morning on Sportsday we look ahead to Day Two of the 145th Open Championship at Troon.There’s also the latest ahead of the second day’s play at Lord’s between England and Pakistan and reaction following Chris Froome having to run part of Stage 12 in the Tour de France.We also react to Antonio Conte’s first press conference as Chelsea manager and Hull FC’s 36-12 derby win over Hull KR in Super League.All brought to you by Will Gavin and the team.
Mark Sampson has been sacked as England Women’s head coach after evidence of ‘inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour’ during his time at a previous club.Sampson, 34, has in recent weeks been the subject of accusations of racism, harassment and bullying made by former England player Eni Aluko.Yet the Football Association announced on Wednesday evening that Sampson is leaving the role with immediate effect following a historic safeguarding investigation into his conduct while manager of Bristol Academy.Sampson, who last year agreed a new contract to remain as England Women’s manager until 2019, was informed of the Football Association’s decision on Wednesday afternoon.The news came less than 24 hours after Sampson oversaw England’s 6-0 win against Russia at Prenton Park.An FA statement read: “The Football Association can confirm that Mark Sampson’s contract as England Women’s head coach has been terminated with immediate effect.“Prior to taking charge of the national team in December 2013, Mark was manager of Bristol Academy. In 2014, safeguarding allegations were made against him about his time with Bristol.“The safeguarding assessment was that he did not pose a risk working in the game. However, the full report of that investigation was only brought to the attention of the current FA leadership last week and it is our judgement that it revealed clear evidence of inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour by a coach.“It is on this basis that we have acted quickly to agree a termination of Mark’s contract.”Sampson took charge of England on Tuesday night as they thrashed Russia in their World Cup qualifier. His players pointedly celebrated the first goal with him to prompt condemnation from Aluko on social media.“I have to say this is the most awkward and complicated issue I have ever dealt with,” FA chief executive Martin Glenn said at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday night. “It is a different issue to the one being raised the Eni Aluko allegations.“In 2014, there was a safeguarding-related complaint made about Mark Sampson when he was coach at Bristol Academy. He had been an FA employee for just a few months. There was a full investigation, a proper investigation, an assessment process and when the report concluded in March 2015 he was deemed not to be a safeguarding risk.“However, the full report of that investigation was only made known to me at the end of last week. On reading it I immediately shared it with FA chairman Greg Clarke and we were both deeply concerned with the contents of the report.“Let’s be really clear: no laws were broken. Greg and I are not able to challenge the professional views of our safeguarding experts. We thought the conduct issues raised in the report were what the problem was.“We felt that during his time at Bristol, Mark had overstepped the professional boundaries between player and coach. We both agreed that Mark’s position was untenable and we shared it with the board over the weekend.“We had a subsequent meeting with the board on Monday because obviously the full implications had to be assessed. The board unanimously support our recommendation and therefore today we terminated Mark’s contract.” Mark Sampson 1 read more
TOP WORK 6 Manchester City v West Ham UnitedMan City win – 91 per cent chance of happeningWest Ham win – Two per cent chance of happeningDraw – Seven per cent chance of happening Sadio Mane puts pressure on Watford ace Kiko Femenia. Can Leicester star Ben Chilwell impress for the managerless side? Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update tense The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 6 Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury predicted Newcastle United vs BurnleyNewcastle win – 47 per cent chance of happeningBurnley win – 25 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeningArsenal v BournemouthArsenal win – 68 per cent chance of happeningBournemouth win – 13 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 19 per cent chance of happening 6 Chelsea vs Tottenham is always a feisty affair. Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Cardiff City vs EvertonCardiff win – 37 per cent chance of happeningEverton win – 34 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happening Southampton, meanwhile, face Fulham with both sides scrapping for their Premier league lives.But one thing is for sure – we wouldn’t like to say what will happen across the weekend. Anything can happen in the Premier League.Everyone has their own different ways of attempting to forecast the result and statistics are more often being used.One such producer of these is FiveThirtyEight but what outcomes do they think will happen? Find out below. Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? Huddersfield Town vs Wolverhampton WanderersHuddersfield win – 29 per cent chance of happeningWolves win – 41 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 31 per cent chance of happeningLeicester City v Brighton & Hove AlbionLeicester win – 54 per cent chance of happeningBrighton win – 20 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happening Romelu Lukaku reacts to a missed chance against Crystal Palace. whoops latest It never stops at the moment and we’ve got another round of Premier League action coming our way, starting tonight.There is a huge top six clash – and London derby – between Chelsea and Tottenham, while towards the bottom of the table Burnley and Newcastle will do battle to add to the respective weekend wins. Liverpool v WatfordLiverpool win – 86 per cent chance of happeningWatford win – Three per cent chance of happeningDraw – 11 per cent chance of happening 6 Everton star Andre Gomes controls the midfield against Cardiff. 6 gameday cracker Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? MOST READ PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS How Everton could look in January under Ancelotti with new signings SORRY Southampton v Fulham Southampton win – 54 per cent chance of happeningFulham win – 21 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 25 per cent chance of happeningChelsea v Tottenham HotspurChelsea win – 48 per cent chance of happeningTottenham win – 28 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 25 per cent chance of happeningCrystal Palace v Manchester UnitedCrystal Palace win – 31 per cent chance of happeningMan United win – 42 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happening huge blow REVEALED Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won 6 revealed Arsenal players celebrate against Bournemouth last time out. read more